Procedure to rename a road
- Adjacent property owner prepare a detailed description of the portion of roadway to be renamed.
- A Petition (click here) to rename a portion of roadway should be first directed to the Township Board for their apporval. In addition, the Road Commission requires approval of the 911 Commission prior to acting on the petition.
- It is a requirement that at least a majority of the residents, on a portion of roadway to be renamed, sign the petition to have the roadway renamed. If a majority of the residents have not signed the petition, a Public Hearing may be held at the option of the Road Commission Board.
- The Petition is then acted on by the Road Commission Board (Approved of Disapproved).
- If approved, a resolution is registered with the Berrien County Register of Deed's Office.