Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) contain a small amount of mercury - an average of 4 milligrams in each bulb. No mercury is released when the bulbs are intact or in use. Incandescent light bulbs do not contain mercury and are not accepted at local recycling centers.
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs & Fluorescent Tubes
- Batteries Plus: 2061 M-139, Benton Harbor, 269-925-7374. Accepts: compact fluorescent and tube bulbs. There is a small fee for this recycling service.
- Green Earth Electronics Recycling: 4200 Niles Rd., St. Joseph. 269-326-1232. www.greenearth1.com. Accepts: compact fluorescent light bulbs and tubes and holiday string lights from Berrien County residential/households only. No bulbs from businesses.
- Household Chemical Collections: Accepts: compact fluorescent bulbs, tubes/circular/UBend fluorescent tubes that come from households in Berrien County can be handled properly through the Household Chemical Collections.
- Kalamazoo County Household Hazardous Waste Center: Accepts: compact fluorescent bulbs, tubes/circular/UBend fluorescent tubes from Berrien County residents. Berrien County residents must show an ID with an address when using this facility. Learn about hours of operation, location, list of accepted items and more at the HHW Center website or call 269-373-5211 for details.
Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) Only
- Home Depot: 2075 Pipestone Rd., Benton Harbor, 269-926-2173. Accepts: compact fluorescent light bulbs only.
- Lowe's: 1300 Mall Dr., Benton Harbor, 269-927-6000; and 2055 S. 11th St., Niles, 269-591-3000. Accepts compact fluorescent light bulbs only. The collection bin is at the front of the store near the service desk.
Holiday Light Strings
- Green Earth Electronics Recycling: 4200 Niles Rd., St. Joseph. 269-326-1232.